Friday, May 29, 2009

The best in my field


As I had said before, for me, the most interesting branch of Social Anthropology is the Economical Anthropology. Besides, I consider that Marvin Harris (1927-2001) is one the most prominent of this branch of Anthropology. Harris was an american anthropologist whose main work was the development of "Cultural Materialism" which is a very controversial subject for discussion. He based his work in theories from Malthus and Marx. The Cultural Materialism consists of giving an materialistic explanation that normally is related to the shortage of resources or demographical problems. Another contribution from Harris to Anthropology is the distinction between an emic and an etic explanation (terms got from phonetics). Emic represents the way by which the members of any specific culture explain a particular phenomenon whereas etic represents a scientific explanation that any external observer is capable to see in order to explain the same phenomenon. In sum, I like his work because he found an explanation for what it's called irrationality of cultures. He shows us how most of the practices, beliefs and rituals come from natural need.
To illustrate his idea, I think about his article "
Mother cow", Why all the starving peasants of India refuse to eat their cows? The emic explanation is that cows are a sacred animals, but the etic explanation says that cows are more valuable as a source of fuel than as a protein input (excrement and orine of the cows are used as fuel in the kitchen)



2 comentarios:

Artemisa Mayfair said...

Marvin Harris was one of the big thinkers in our field, i really like his work about the indian cow's, it's a very intelligent way of explain the culture arround this animals, besides, i love India!!

Juan Luzzi said...

Silvia,
Your post is almost spotless and contains some very interesting ideas. I hope your classmates take a look at it.
Here’s a suggestgion and a correction.
, I consider that Marvin Harris (1927-2001) is one the most prominent FIGURES/AUTHORITIES/REPRESENTATIVES of this branch of Anthropology.
giving A materialistic explanation

Post a Comment